While the number of “correct ways” to do anything in the bush is directly proportional to the number of people discussing it around the camp fire (what’s that old gem about opinions being like assholes), this guide will hopefully provide you with some useful tips, tricks and techniques to make your time in the bush safer and more enjoyable.
It’s a work in progress, and over time we will be adding to it with more gear reviews, safety techniques, bushcraft tips, food ideas, rope-work, book reviews, supplier recommendations and other tidbits that we think might be useful.
If you’ve got a topic you’d like to see us cover, or a product you think we should review, then get in touch and we’ll see what we can do.
- NEW: Making a custom first aid kit for canyoning and bushwalking
- Do you need to retire dropped carabiners?
- Purcell Prusik — an extendable cowstail safety line
- Making a tape abseiling harness
- Two alternate tape harness designs
- Making a retrievable anchor — abseiling double rope
- Refolding topographic maps to make them easier to use
- Bestard Canyon Guide
- 5.10 Guide Tennie approach shoe
- 5.10 Water Tennie
- adidas Hydro Pro
- 5.10 Canyoneer 2
- 5.10 Canyoneer SAR versus the Dunlop Volley
- Thermals: Brubeck Merino Extreme
- SealSkinz ‘Submerge’ waterproof socks
- Edelrid Canyon 9mm static floating rope
- Kong Hydrobot — Abseiling descender
- Summit Gear ‘Canyon’ pack
- NEW: Mont Moondance 2 — lightweight two person tent
- ZPacks Ultralight Cuben Fiber Rain Jacket
- Goon Sack Water Canteen
- Terra Rosa Gear Exploring Tarp
- Oz Trail Hiker Fly
- Thermarest Neo Air (2011 edition)
- ACR ResQLink Personal Locator Beacon (PLB)
- Platypus Water Tank 6L
- Lightweight bushwalking stove — Optimus Crux Lite
- UPDATED: Current list of all Blue Mountains canyon closures
- Bushfire safety for bushwalkers and canyoners
- Canyoning equipment checklist: What gear is needed?
- Accessing public places through private land
- Canyoners Code of Ethics
- The Bushwalkers Code
- Canyoning in the Alps: Northern Italy and Ticino — Simon Flower
- Canyons Near Sydney (5th edition) — Rick Jamieson
- Colo River Passes and Routes: A bushwalkers guide — Brian Corlis
Where to buy gear: